The Wheel & Axle
To turn the screw we have been turning a wheel attached to the top of the screw.
Talk Now - 3c
Discuss with your partner as many possible reasons why they used a wheel instead of a screw driver to turn the screw. Record your list of reasons in your lab packet.
We will now prepare to repeat the Wheel & Axle lab. This time, you should change the size of the wheel.
Leave the thread density the same as you test several size wheels.
The wheel radius can be changed from a 50 cm radius to as large as a 100 cm radius.
- With your partner, predict what changes might occur when you adjust the radius.
- Record your predictions in your lab packet.
- Select a wheel size and record the effort applied, distance lifted and wheel radius in your lab packet.
- Repeat this test using at least 4 different radii.
- Record data from each test before going on.
Table 2 - The Wheel